In this session of the people’s health series, participants will:
- Clarify what healthy eating means for themselves and what are the difficulties in achieving a healthy relationship to food within our current lifestyles.
- Explore the idea of food as a commodity. Learn about real case studies in history that show food is more valued under capitalism for making profit than for sustaining human life.
- Watch a film on “The People’s Grocery” a community project in West Oakland that combines sustainable agricultural and co-operative food distribution.
- Brainstorm in small groups on what “Food Justice” means and what would be required to achieve it.
Materials to prepare for this session:
- Read Between Obesity and Hunger: The Capitalist Food Industry (please email us to receive the article d/t copyright)
- Watch Raj Patel on Democracy Now – on the Food Crisis and his book “Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World’s Food System.
See you Sunday!
If you are new to the People’s Health Series and want to participate – send us an email and we’ll send you the info: allianceforpeopleshealth (at) gmail (dot) com