Are you interested in helping APH organizers run the People’s Health Series, the Women’s Health Series, or the Immigrant and Refugee Health Series? Have you always wanted to join the APH but have been waiting for the right time? Join us for our organizer training!
July 24 – 9:00 – 5:00 – 672 East Broadway (@ Fraser)
Pre-Registration Required! Email us at: allianceforpeopleshealth (at) gmail (dot) com
Lunch provided. Reading materials listed below.
1. Experience sharing: what have been our experiences of education?
2. What is popular education? Examine and discuss the history and development of popular education and a pedagogy of the oppressed, with an in-depth overview of the core elements of popular education.
3. Social consciousness on a mass level: Using popular education to build a movement. Learn the step-by-step process of building popular social consciousness that local and international movements have used and are currently using. In a fun and supportive environment, try out some popular consciouness-raising techniques!
4. On-the-ground work: What does an organizer/community worker do, what is their role in the movement? Now look more specifically at how individual organizers and Community Health Workers use popular education techniques in their day to day organizational work in the community. Practice using the techniques in a variety of situations.
5. Using popular education: The Immigrant and Refugee Health Series. Put into practice what we’ve learned through participatory planning for the upcoming Immigrant and Refugee Health Series.
6. Wrap-up: Synthesizing the day!
Meeting Facilitation: the No Magic Method – by Berit Lakey
BRU Night Owls campaign leaflet – by the Bus Riders Union
The Tyranny of Structurelessness – by Jo Freeman